Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Stranger in a strange land.......

Greetings all,



My name is Mike Williams, and having recently retired after 30 years service as a police officer here in North Carolina am exploring the new world of not having to work for a living. It has been a strange and interesting transition. When something that has been a major part of your life suddenly isn't there there is a great big empty place that you aren't really sure what to do with. I can't say it was a BAD thing, but it did impact on my comfort level. I am one of those folks that doesn't do change real well, so for a while it was uncomfortable. I think that I have worked that part out but still am feeling my way around just a wee bit. That is part of the reason for the title of this post.

The other reason is this is my first attempt at blogging. A few of my friends suggested that I try this and see if it was something that I might be good at. I don't know that it will be of interest to anyone, and I hope that it doesn't sound (or read) like my life is so important that it has to be shared with the whole world. I do like to write, and have been accused of being in the old tradition a story teller. (Give me rum and a campfire, and you can not stop my mouth from running) So with the kind assistance of anyone who runs across these words, we will see where this leads.

Much as I hate it, I guess I should tell you a bit about myself. I am almost 50, and married to my good wife Beverly for the past 25 years. Doing what I did for so long, I have very strong opinions on topics, but am willing to listen to arguments against my point of view. I also have what has been called a "sick" sense of humor. That is something that I have in common with anyone who does a rough type of job, Police, firefighters, EMTs, ED staff, military, anyone who sees a lot of trauma or people at their worst. Sometimes, that warped sense of humor is about the only defence that those kind of people have to keep themselves from burning out. So be warned............

While I have a roll going, I guess I should explain the name of my blog. First of all, this is NOT a Rocky Horror Picture Show fan site, (but I did enjoy the movie) One of the things that I do, is reenacting/living history. You know, the folks that dress up in funny clothing and hang around at historic sites talking to the public and fight "sham" battles. Most people don't know that there are people who do this kind of thing for every time period known, from the Stone age right through the Vietnam war. I have a love of history and fell into "the hobby" as we call it back in 1982 and never looked back. I always stayed in the colonial period from 1700 to 1800s and focused on a medical portrayal. As a matter of fact, with the help of others, I started the Detached Hospital a recreated medical unit from the revolutionary war. But recently have ventured into the 1812 war as well as dipping my toes into the period of the American Civil War. I refer to kitting out in the period costume, (you guessed it) Doin' the time warp. Thus the name.

Well, I guess that should be enough to start out with. Let's see what develops from here.

No comments: