Sunday, February 17, 2008

I'll fathom the bowl......

Let's chat a bit more on strong drink.

As I said, I like rum. Rum seems to have a flexablity that other strong sprits don't seem to have. You can drink rum in a cool punch just as easily as you can in a hot buttered rum or a rum toddy.

Here are a few more favorite recipes.

Rum Punch Done In The Manner of Phil Dunning Esq.

Take 5 to 8 ounces of Dark Rum or Brandy as you wish, put to it 24 ounces of cool water, add to it the juice of 1/2 lemon and two to three tablespoons of the best refined sugar. (If you have connections with the west Indies Musavado or Havana brown sugar works well) If you please, you can grate fresh nutmeg into the punch. This makes about 1 quart of a most delicate, fine, pleasant & most wholesome liquor.

Hot Buttered Rum

This recipe was given to me by one of the members of my hospital unit, Ms. Nancy Randall. Noted babe and all around good egg. Nancy helps keep the hospital running and keeps me from tearing out my hair. (not to mention that she allows me to spoil her daughter, Miss Susan)

For one:
1 cup cider
1 Tbsp maple syrup
3/4 teaspoon butter
1/4 cup rum

For two:
2 cups cider
1/8 cup maple syrup
11/2 teaspoon butter
1/2 cup rum

For a group:
4 cups cider
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup rum

For a crowd:
8 cups cider
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup butter
1 quart rum

The Stonewall

The drink was a favorite of Ethan Allen as well as LT of my hospital unit.

One bottle of hard Cider ( such as Woodchuck, Hornsby, or any other "hard cider")
11/2 ounces dark rum
Mix and drink.
(Warning, this drink is deceptively smooth, after three you feel like you have run into a stonewall, thus it's name)






No comments: