Thursday, August 21, 2008

Yummy,Yummy, Yummy................

I sorta been drifting along this week. I went to Kinston this past week-end and did a Revwar sailor impression. Visitation was piss-poor so we had a lot of dead time, which gave me some time to do some knot work. I got a few odds and ends done, some coshes, as well as doing repair work on the hospital fly. But mostly I took advantage of the day to visit with my shipmates from the guild. These are the folks that I am getting into the civil war navy with, so I got a chance to talk that time period over with them as well. I am still collecting my gear slowly but surely. I was fitted for my navy frock and took delivery of my brogans, so all that I need now is a pair of good pants and I will be ready to roll. It can't happen soon enough for me, I really want to see how the "other half " lives. -grin- After all, I have all these firearms from the 1850-1870 period, (To include a reproduction 1860 Colt revolver I got from a shipmate at Kinston) So I guess I better find a use for them.

I got my latest Penzy spices catalog this week, Of course I just HAD to send off a order for some mustard powder as well as a few other things. I love to eat (and it shows) so what I am trying to do is add extra flavor to what I eat, so that I can eliminate some of the bad stuff and try to eat healthy without sacrificing taste. I tell you, it ain't easy. My latest project is making homemade mustard and I have several recipes that sound pretty good. One even goes back to the 17th century. (You KNEW I would work history into this somehow, didn't you?) I will let you know how it turns out.

While I was down at Kinston, I discovered a new taste treat which I need to stay away from at all cost. I don't remember the exact name.King's Bar-B-Q sells it. It was something like a pig puppy, which consisted of a fairly good sized hush puppy filled with chopped bar-be-que and coleslaw. My three favorite food groups. -grin- I loved it, but I might as well slap the damned things on my belly and ass and just cut out the middle man. -grin-

I started packing for the road trip to Alexandria VA this coming weekend. The plan is a one day living history event there, then up the road to Maryland for another one day event. I plan on making both event, but it depends on the knees. I might have to punk out on Sunday, but we will see. Either way, I get to stay with my second family, the Randalls with the always cute and smart as a whip Miss Susan. That makes the trip well worth it.

3 comments:

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Ah shipmate, you were close. The delicacy you partook of at King's is called a Pig-in-a-Puppy. I'd rather have my BBQ on the plate so its not really my deal, but I'm glad you liked it.

Also, I think you're the only one who has been honest enough to describe the attendance at last Saturday's event as "piss poor," but that's the truth! Sorry it wasn't better attended, but we were damn glad to see you!

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Almost forgot, I'll be talking to our seamstress tomorrow about your frock. I need to go check up on Bosun Niblets anyway.

Michael W. said...

Shipmate!

Pig in a puppy, I will remember that. I like 'Que just about anyway I can get it. -grin-

Heck, I didn't mind the low visitation. Like I said, I got a lot of good out of the event. It was pretty obvious that there wasn't a lot of advertisement for the show. I just hate the site didn't get most out of us being there. It was however a true pleasure seeing my shipmates again.

Outstanding! I am looking forward to wearing the blue and serving the big guns with you gents.