Wednesday, May 12, 2010

More Odds And Ends..................

I just learned that Frank Frazetta died recently.

For those of you who don't know the name, Mr. Frazetta was a artist who was best known as a Sword and Sorcery illustrator. It was Frazetta who brought Conan the Barbarian to life thanks to the cover art on the paperback versions of the Conan stories.

As a teen-aged, hormonally enriched young pup, I had posters of his work on the walls in my room and I bought Molly Hatchet Albums because he had done the artwork on the album cover. (Well the music wasn't that bad either) After all, his art had everything I liked, a barbarian chopping up people with axe or sword, most of the time with a scantly clad, fine figure of a woman nearby. (I LOVED me some chain-mail bikinis)

I am sure that Mr. Frazetta was able to answer the riddle of steel for Crom and now resides in the halls of Valhalla where no doubt he has his sketch pad in hand to draw from real life. May you rest easy Mr. Frazetta, and thanks for your work.

Recently there was a Supreme Court decision to allow a cross that was put up on "public lands" to commemorate the dead of the First World War to continue to stand. This cross had been in place for years and was in the middle of no where. Then someone decided that since the cross was on National Park land, that it was a violation of the separation of church and state and sued. Well, as noted earlier, the Supremes said it was O.K. So of course, somebody didn't like that so they went out and stole the cross.

Now is it just me, or does it seem that when something like this happens that the people who are so busy fighting for "fairness and our rights" always act out when they don't get their way? (If indeed they did take the cross, which I don't have any doubts they did) I'm just sayin..............

No comments: