Thursday, May 20, 2010

N.R.A. 2010 Convention........

I got back Sunday late from Charlotte and am STILL jazzed up. Finally meeting the authors of a lot of my favorite blogs in person such as Jay G., The lovely Breda, Weer'd Beard, Mike W., Newbius and a cast of others was the highlight of the weekend. Of course, being able to fondle and covet countless numbers of firearms didn't hurt either. There was every type of firearm that one could imagine. More "black rifles" than "I" cared for, but plenty of other toys such as single action clones, lever action rifles, and other replicas that exerted their siren call on me and my wallet. I just barely resisted temptation.

Other bloggers have commented on how they noticed how friendly the people were at the convention. I agree, they were. It seems that people who are self reliant and secure (which the large majority of gun owners are) are friendly and more willing to be open and helpful to their fellow man. I guess it is true, a armed society is a polite society. Not to say that the general friendly atmosphere was due to the fact that someone might whip out a heater and blast you for stepping on their foot. But more due to the fact that it seemed to me that most of the people at the convention were secure in who they were and didn't have to put on any airs. All in all, not a bad place to spend the weekend.

Saturday night's dinner was a great deal of fun. My knees wouldn't allow me to socialize much, so I didn't get to talk to as many folks as I wanted to but I did get to have a good meal, Guinness stew and salad. I also got to be there when my little buddy Ms. Susan took part in her first "grown up" dinner party. She was a perfect lady the whole evening.

I am already looking forward to next year in Philly.........

4 comments:

Nancy R. said...

April 28 - May 1 in Pittsburgh. Looking forward to it!

Mike W. said...

Glad to meet my fellow namesake.

Hope to see you next year in Pittsburgh, carrying as one should at an NRA convention.

Unknown said...

Pittsburgh is within driving range of me; maybe I'll finally get to go to one of these things. It always seems like the NRA conv. and SHOT are booked specifically to keep me from going. . .but the Modern Day Marine conv. is always close by!

I'm marking my calendar.

Michael W. said...

Good deal!

This year was my first, it was quite a show for a first timer. You should love it. (grin)