Sunday, June 6, 2010

Operation Overlord..........

Most of my blogger friends have covered it much better than I could, but today is the 66th anniversary of the invasion of the Normandy coast. The liberation of North-West Europe and the final defeat of the Nazi empire all began when the allied paratroops landed behind the German lines and when allied troops set foot on the sands of Juno, Sword, Gold, Utah, and "Bloody"Omaha beaches.

I have a special reason for a rememberence of this event. About 2 1/2 hours north of my home is the town of Bedford VA. Bedford was the home of Company A, 116th Inf. Reg., 29th Inf. Div. On June 6th, 1944 the 29th and the 1st Inf. Div. (The Big Red One) came ashore on Omaha beach. Company A lost 19 men in the first days fighting. This from a town with a population of 3200. This was proportionately the largest D-Day losses for any town or city in the U.S. This is the reason that this town was chosen for the National D-Day memorial location.

So in addition to all the brave young men, I lift my glass to the Bedford Boys...........

No comments: