Thursday, June 24, 2010

War Story...............

There's a old line that cops and military guys use quite a bit. It goes " The difference between a fairy tale and a war story goes like this, a fairy tale starts out "Once upon a time," a war story starts out with "This ain't no sh*t"

Seeing my buddy Ms. Nancy's old blog entry about patriotic songs reminded me of a war story that I wanted to share. The names are changed to protect the guilty.

I had a guy that worked for me, Ricky Ricardo. He was from the Philippines and was a damn good employee. He did have a few quirks however. He was a former law enforcement officer in the Philippines under Marcos and just couldn't figure out the American method of law enforcement. (But more on that at a later time. )

Ricky was also working on becoming a U.S. citizen. He was sweating out the test that he would have to take so I (Being the worlds biggest history bore) offered to give him a hand with studying. I figured that everything was just whipping along like gangbusters until one night I came up behind him while he was patrolling his area. I heard him singing under his breath a familiar tune. The lyrics however, were not what I expected.

"Yank my doodle, ain't it a dandy?"

I made the decision at that moment, that if that was a test question, he would just have to fail that one.

Rick did pass the test, and became a U.S. citizen.

1 comment:

Nancy R. said...

Great. Now *I'm* singing it to myself at work.