Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I like the city of San Juan............I know a boat you can get on.............

Well here we are, April 1st. One year ago, I "pulled the pin" and retired. Strangely enough, I find myself wondering where the time has gone. I haven't gotten as much accomplished as I thought I would, but then again, maybe I set my sights a bit too high. I guess I will just sit back, relax and see what happens next without worrying too much about it.

This month should be a very busy one. This coming weekend, (April 5-6) I will be heading up to Sully Plantation in Northern VA to serve with my shipmates from the Dragon. This is a 1812 event. John M. one of my hospital members said he would ride up with me, so the drive will not be so long. The following weekend (April 12th) I will be taking the hospital down to Halifax NC in support of some friends in the 5th NC. They are commemorating the signing of the Halifax Resolves on that weekend. The next weekend(April 19-20) The hospital goes to Petersburg VA. Then, on the weekend of April 26-27 the hospital becomes "air mobile" for it's trip to San Juan, Porto Rico. So as you can see, it is going to be a very long month.

Of all the events, I guess the Petersburg event and the San Juan event are the ones I am looking forward to the most. Petersburg will be the first hospital event with a good turn out of staff of the year. I have missed seeing the family and it will be good to be back with them.

The San Juan trip will be very cool since the site folks are pulling out all the stops to make us welcome. The only expenses that we are having to come up with is airline fare. Lodging, meals and on island transportation are all inclusive and being taken care of by the folks running the event.I think that this event will add more prestige and status to the hospital and it's reputation. I have spent a great deal of time trying to figure out what kind of stuff I am going to take and how I am going to transport it all. I think I have it figured out, I have picked up a gun case with locks and will transport my tools in it. They should be safe that way. Other stuff such as medicines and drugs, I am still figuring out. I know that I will not be able to carry most of my drugs due to them being flammable and the restrictions that airlines have on items these days. John the younger will be going down also, and I will be leaning on him a great deal. In more ways than one.

My right knee continues to get worse. I thought that I had a doctor's appointment for tomorrow but it is for next week. So, I just need to keep toughing it out. I find myself taking more and more pain pills, which are becoming about as effective as M & Ms. If I can't get someone to ride up with me, I might have to punk out on Sully, which would not make me happy. I miss seeing the folks of the Dragon and doing my sailor thing.

I lucked up the other day. I went to my favorite used DVD store to scout around and found a copy of one of my favorite movies, Barry Lyndon. If you haven't see this one, or it has been a while, for a real treat, watch it. It is a movie that gives the feel and taste of the 18th century better than any other movie ever made. I just don't have the words to express the power and magnificence of the photography as well as the strength of the story line. And the best part, it only cost me five bucks. GRIN

While I am semi on the subject, I gotta say that I have somewhat changed my mind on HBO's John Adams. I sat down and watched all the episodes I had recorded so far. I think the caricaturization of Adams is closer to the real person than I thought (or wanted to think). I fell into the trap that so many fall into, (and one that I preach against) that the history just didn't fit into the nice little comfort box that "I" thought it should. But as Mr. Adams so eloquently stated, "facts are stubborn things". I am sure that my conservative/loyalist outlook had something to do with my first impressions too.

2 comments:

Chris Grimes said...

Well aren't you the world traveler! The San Juan trip sounds like it will be fun...lots of rum and cigars!

Michael W. said...

Yep, warm balmy breezes, palm trees, rum, more rum, and a 350 year old fort to play in. what more could I want? GRIN