Sunday, June 22, 2008

It's Summertime......

Well, the official start of summer is here and as normal it sorta got here when I wasn't looking. I have been doing work on the range all week and have got all that just about knocked out. All I need to do is get myself qualified with my off-duty weapon and all will be good.

I have started packing for the road trip/vacation I have coming up. I will be spending the next two weeks in Virginia. One week with "Uncle" Chuck Walker and one week with the Randalls, with Under the Redcoat in the middle. I plan on taking several projects with me since no matter where I am, I need to be working on something all the time. Ideal hands and all that. Sometime in those two weeks, I hope to be able to go to the N.R.A. museum as well as the Naval Academy museum. Guns and history, a unbeatable pair.

Nice thing about my trips like this, The mood strikes me and I just do what I feel like without any preplanning. I stop and see what I want, follow roads less traveled and just drift along. I recommend it highly, since it is a very relaxing way to spend your time.

As far as projects go, I have started back on leather working. Since I now have a few cap and ball revolvers, I am making up some "Slim Jim" holsters for them. This is a old style of holster which came out of the California gold fields of the
1850's. I am working them up to be cross draw style and we will see what they look like when I am finished with them. I have the tools and instructions on leather carving, but I don't know that I want to start that yet. I might try my hand at it someday.

Well, back to packing....

4 comments:

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Have fun on your vacation. You may want to check online regarding the Naval Academy Museum; when I was up there in March it was closed for renovations and was supposed to be closed until the middle of next year. Just something to think about, but hell, Annapolis is a cool town anyway!

Michael W. said...

Thanks for the heads up shipmate! I will check it out, but that's the nice thing about my roadtrip, if it's closed, well there are other things to check out. GRIN

I still gotta run you down and get that piece that Mo left in your care.

Andrew Duppstadt said...

I suppose the next time I might see you is at (irony) Mo's program at the Caswell site in Kinston on August 16. That is, unless you are planning on being at Fort Macon on July 26-27 to do your first Civil War program (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Michael W. said...

Man, I want to be there, just haven't got the clothing yet. I got hat, boots and musket, but nothing between.

B.T.W. you were right, the museum is closed, so I will find something else to see.