Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ah, The Smell Of The Black Powder Smoke And The Stand In The Street At The Turn Of A Joke.........

It was rainy and overcast all stinking day here at Casa Williams. I finally got tired of sitting around in the house, so I gathered up a yard chair, my shooting box, 4 of my black powder revolvers and my reproduction civil war poncho. Having everything in my little red wagon, I drug it down to the creek, where I proceeded to make a great deal of noise. I can't say that it was some of my best shooting, since I was shooting 4 different weapons with different sight pictures and calibers. I had reproductions of the Colt 1851 Navy, Colt 1861 Navy, Colt 1860 Army and a 1858 Remington. My target was some branches of a old deadfall and it reminded me of the scene in the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales" when Josie started out practicing with his pistols. More misses than hits. But it DID feel good to burn powder. I did discover that I need to replace the factory nipples with stainless steel ones, since the Italians didn't show a lot of skill in making the ones I have. There was such a difference in the nipple sizes the percussion caps were either too tight, or too loose and was just a pain in the butt to deal with. Nothing overwhelming, but just something I didn't want to deal with.

After a few hours I went back up to the house, and spent a hour or so cleaning the messy weapons up, then back to sewing ditty bags for a friend in Canada. I got a email from the gentleman down in Texas that I sent the reproduction hammock to. He was tickled to death with it which made me a happy camper. A satisfied customer gladdens the heart. -grin-

I have been taken off of my old friend Motrin per Doctor's orders. I guess they are worried about my possible bleeding in surgery. They say that I can take Tylenol or Aleve but I have found that at least on me they are about as effective as M&Ms. So we will see what happens, but it isn't very nice at the present time.

One day and a wake up to go.............

No comments: