Thursday, February 5, 2009

Today In History...........

I thought I would ease back into blogging by pointing out a interesting (at least to me) thing or two that happened on this date.

In 1922.....

The Reader's Digest was first published. From that point on, bathrooms around America were never the same.

In 1958.....

As the result of a mid-air collision between two aircraft,the U.S. Air Force "lost" a 7600 lb. Hydrogen bomb in the Atlantic Ocean off Tybee Island near Savannah Ga. Well, maybe lost is too hard a term. Let's just say it's "misplaced" since it has never been recovered. There have been more than a few of these types of incidents, which the government has code named "Broken Arrows" to include one at Goldsboro NC (only a few hours from my home) in 1961. Again, in that case, another Hydrogen bomb was "lost" in a bean field after the aircraft carrying it broke apart in mid-air.

I can't get my mind around the fact that a bomb that size could not be recovered, but what do I know?

No comments: