Saturday, January 16, 2010

Salads? Yeah I Eat 'Em...............

Being a carnivore of the first order, people ask me if I have a problem with salad. I don't for the most part. (I even have one every once in a while as the main course of a meal, but don't tell anyone) Here are two of my favorites

Mexican Chef's Salad I

1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
1 TBS. Chili Powder
1 can Kidney Beans (rinsed and drained)
1 Onion (chopped)
2 Tomatoes (chopped)
1 Head Iceberg Lettuce (torn)
2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 Avocado (chopped) -optional-
1 Bag Corn Tortilla Chips (coarsely crushed)
1 1/2 cups Thousand Island Dressing

Cook the ground beef until done, drain and mix in the chili powder. Mix in all remaining salad ingredients. (except chips and dressing) Just before serving, add dressing, toss and top with chips. Serve immediately.

Mexican Chef's Salad II

1 Lb. Boneless Chicken (diced)
1 large can Kidney Beans (rinsed and drained)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Tbs. Chili powder
1 Med. Onion (chopped)
3 Med Tomatoes (diced)
1 Med head Iceberg Lettuce (chopped)
1/2 Lb. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 cup Thousand Island Dressing
1/4 cup Picante sauce (or to taste)
1 Large Avocado (sliced)
1 Large bag Corn Tortilla chips (coarsely crushed)

Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a large frying pan until it starts to smoke. Add the chicken and fry over medium-high heat stirring frequently until they are browned (2 to 3 minutes) Add the drained kidney beans, salt and chili powder. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Toss the tomatoes, onion, lettuce, cheese, salad dressing and picante sauce together. Add the avocado and crushed chips and add to the salad.

Mix the cooked chicken and bean mixture into the cold salad. You can decorate with any extra chips and slices of avocado and tomato. Serve immediately.

All the people we have served these recipes to over the years love it. Not the best looking thing in the world but I think taste trumps looks most of the time. It doubles and triples quite well if you are trying to feed a big crowd, which led to it's nickname among our crowd, "trash bag salad" I was making a recipe X 4 for a gathering and of course, didn't have a big enough container to contain it. I grabbed a large (clean) trash bag to mix in which worked quite well. To this day, my friends still ask me when am I going to make up some more "trash bag" salad.

Give it a try..........








No comments: