Monday, January 4, 2010

Shooty Goodness.........

Still up in Northern Virginia with my friends, enjoying life.

We had a chance to take the shooting irons to some friend's house yesterday and put a few rounds down range. We didn't shoot as much as we would have liked, due to cutting wind and low temps but I was able to see how Miss Nancy and her Springfield XD work together. I was delighted to see that they are a very good team. Having had to work with people that didn't know the pointy end of the bullet goes in first, Miss Nancy has a darn good working knowledge of how weapons work and is going to make what I want to do a great deal easier. At 7 yards she was able to put most of her magazine into a circle about 4" in diameter. The ones outside the circle were within the gnat's a** of being in. If we had been shooting at a standard silhouette, they would have all been in the 10 ring. Not too bad for someone who started out shooting both a matchlock and flintlock smoothbore musket, without the benefits of any type of sights. Before heading back home, I hope to work with her on a few "helpful hints" (You may call me Heloise) I am looking forward to passing these things on.

In other shooting news, I now have a pellet riddled wolf target from Miss Susan as a collector's item. I thought I would put it up in my shop at home until she turns 16, at which time I would return it to her to show to her prospective boyfriends. Well, it's a thought.......

Rick, loyal and dutiful husband to Miss Nancy, got to crank off a few rounds from his Christmas present from Miss Nancy, a 1891/30 Mosin. We were delighted to see that the rifle performed quite well, accurate with mil surplus ball. Checking the fired shell casings didn't show any sign of head space problems, there were no difficulties with working the bolt, so it looks like the rifle is in very good shape. As I told Rick, it seemed to be a good choice for Zombie defence at 200 meters. Not to mention the bayonet which can be used for it's original purpose or as a field expedient tool to cook Shish-Ka-Bob on.

After the shooting, we all retired to the house where we feasted on leftovers and warmed up with good conversation, good company and fellowship. All in all, a good time was had by all......

No comments: