Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Getting In The Christmas Spirit...........

I spent Saturday at Historic Halifax, a colonial period state historic site in the north eastern part of North Carolina. They were celebrating the Christmas season, so I made my own contribution by taking my dice and teaching all who wanted to learn various period games of chance. Since Halifax was a deep river port, I wore my sailor clothing and interpreted how important the shipping trade was to colonial North Carolina. So I got to sit in a restored 18th century tavern while my messmates had to go out into the cold and give demonstrations of cannon and period muskets. I think I got the better end of the deal.

It was the first time that I have been out in the field in period clothing since April and it felt good to be back but I have lost so much weight that my clothing was almost falling off. Luckily, that didn't happen, but I was worried.

For those of you who wonder what I look like, please check out my messmate Andrew's blog. To tell us apart, I am the fellow in the blue jacket with the brown knit hat talking to another messmate Chris who is wearing a tricorn hat. Check it out.........

http://civilwarnavy.blogspot.com/

No comments: