Monday, December 21, 2009

I've Said It Once, I'll Say it Again................

This is Oliver Cromwell's speech to Parliament just before he closed it and began The Protectorate (Which was nothing more that a military dictatorship.) Every fiber of my being is against any type of dictatorship. I believe that freedom was a gift to this country from the Almighty, but when the people who we elect to office refuse to follow the will of the people, I sometimes wonder if it isn't time for a Cromwell once again.

"It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turn'd the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!"


The "Shining Bauble" that Cromwell referred to was the Mace of State which was always present when Parliament was in session and signified the authority of Parliament.

2 comments:

Home on the Range said...

My aunt spent a year doing the family genealogy after her husband died. She researched extensively and traveled to England and Ireland.

My Dad is a direct descendant of Oliver. Me. . I'm adopted. A mutt as they say. But I am very much my father's daughter and am thankful for the strength of men to speak their mind and their will.

Michael W. said...

Well, you may be adopted, but you my dear were no doubt the pick of pride. Thank goodness you were adopted by folks as strong and as good as your mom and dad. I think you mom might be cut from the same piece of cloth as my mom, your dad, well he seems to be a gentleman I wouldn't mind having a cup or two of coffee with.

I know that my admiration of Cromwell is a very dangerous double edged sword. It would be very easy to fall in the trap that Germany fell into in 1933. The desire for a strong leader and order can lead you into a much, much worse situation. I guess that all we can do is raise hell with the politicians and pray.......