Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Garden Bounty...........

Been a while since I have posted a food entry, I think I need to just to take my mind off current events.

The locals are starting to open fresh produce stands around here. Even though I still can't eat like I want to, I find I just can't resist stopping and eyeballing all the veggies at these stands. I just love fresh corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and every thing else that is fresh this time of year. In the past I would even grow my own small garden but I found that I just didn't have the time to invest in it properly.

Here is a recipe that I picked up for a tomato, cucumber and onion marinade that is pretty darn good.

4 ripe tomatoes
3 fresh cucumbers, peeled
1 sweet Vidalia onion, peeled
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

1. Cut the tomatoes, cucumbers, and onion into 1/4 inch slices and combine in a large bowl. Put aside in the refrigerator while you make your vinaigrette.

2. Combine the sugar, vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir and remove from the heat. Let cool to room temp.

3. Pour the marinade on the vegetables, toss to combine, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until well chilled.

My late grandmother made something very much like this when I was a young pup but I never learned how she made it. I think I have come close to what she did. At least the taste is similar, and that's close enough.

No comments: