Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Las Vegas..........

Greetings from Las Vegas.

It's been a rather slow day, trying to my body clock adapted to the time change and getting my knees working again. The good wife on the other hand has been a ball of fire, entering a slot tournament and placing second today, hopefully she will do better in the next round. I did discover a interesting bit of information. I now better understand heat without humidity. It hit 103 today and I was able to tolerate it better than I thought.

One of the questions I always ask preachers when I meet them is that I fully realize it will be hot in hell, but will it be humid? Normaly a test of their sense of humor, that question came to the forefront of my brain today. Dry heat is MUCH better.

So far, the most interesting part of this adventure has been the trip out. As soon as we got to the airport we found that there had been a line of storms that had gone through Atlanta and had both canceled and delayed flights. Of course, that had a domino effect and delays started cascading throughout the entire system. It didn't bother me one wit since I had a couple of books with me, but it was fun to watch other people panic, freak out and generally lose their cool.

When we got airborne, we had to go through a bit of turbulence and got to see some rather impressive lightning. While looking at the light show outside my window, watching the airplane lights being reflected as we flew through clouds, I couldn't help but think back to one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes, "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet". The original T.V. program stared William Shatner, the remake Twilight Zone movie stared John Lithgow. Both in their own way were excellent. I will not spoil it for you if you haven't seen it yet, but find it on youtube or hulu. It is well worth the time involved.

More later...........

No comments: