Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Marines................

My admiration for the entire U.S. Military knows no bounds, but I must admit that I have a special affection for the naval service, to include the Marine Corps. The U.S. Marines have a proud and storied history that dates back to November 10th 1775. I can't speak as well as others about the Corps so I will let others both Marine and Non-Marine speak in my place.

"A Marine should be sworn to the patient endurance of hardships, like the ancient knights; and it is not the least of these necessary hardships to have to serve with sailors."
- Field Marshal Montgomery


"Teufelhunden! (Devil Dogs)" -GERMAN SOLDIER'S nickname for the Marines they fought at BELLEAU WOOD in World War I

"The American Marines are terribly reckless fellows...they would make very good storm troopers."
- Unidentified captured German officer at Belleau Wood

"Come on, you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?" -GySgt. DANIEL DALY, USMC winner of two Congressional Medals of Honor (One of the Marines facing the above Germans)

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
- 1stLt Clifton B. Cates, USMC, 96th Co., Another Marine the above Germans were facing at Belleau Wood.



"Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings I have ever witnessed. They treat their service as if it was some kind of cult, plastering their emblem on almost everything they own, making themselves up to look like insane fanatics with haircuts to ungentlemanly lengths, worshiping their Commandant almost as if he was a god, and making weird animal noises like a band of savages. They'll fight like rabid dogs at the drop of a hat just for the sake of a little action, and are the cockiest SOB's I have ever known. Most have the foulest mouths and drink well beyond man's normal limits, but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set them apart and , generally speaking, of the United States Marines I've come in contact with, are the most professional soldiers and the finest men I have had the pleasure to meet."

- An Anonymous Canadian Citizen


Gone to Florida to fight the Indians. Will be back when the war is over.
Colonel Commandant Archibald Henderson, USMC
in a note pinned to his office door, 1836


You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are.
Father Kevin Keaney
1st Marine Division Chaplain
Korean War


The wonderful love of a beautiful maid,
The love of a staunch true man,
The love of a baby, unafraid,
Have existed since time began.

But the greatest of loves, The quintessence of loves.
even greater than that of a mother,
Is the tender, passionate, infinite love,
of one drunken Marine for another.

"Semper Fidelis"

General Louis H. Wilson
Commandant of the Marine Corps
Toast given at 203rd Marine Corps Birthday Ball
Camp Lejueune, N.C. 1978


I would like to close this post with a transcription of a letter written in 1800 by the Second Commandant of the Marine Corps W.W. Burrows to a young Marine Lt. who had been insulted by a naval officer.

Camp at Washing., Sept. 22, 1800

Lt. Henry Caldwell

Sir----

When I answer'd your letter, I did not Know what Injuries you had recieved on board the Trumbull....Yesterday the Secretary told me, that he understood one of the Lieutenants of the Navy had struck you. I lament that the Capt. of yr ship cannot Keep Order of her.......As to yourself I can only say, that a Blow ought never be forgiven, and without you wipe this Insult offer'd to the Marine Corps, you cannot expect to join our Officers.

I have permitted you to leave the ship.........That you may be on a equal Footing with the Captain, or any one who dare insult you or the Corps. I have wrote to Capt. Carmick, who is at Boston to call on you & be your friend. He is a Man of Spirit and will take care of you, but don't let me see you 'till you have wip'd away this Disgrace. It is my Duty to support my Officers and I will do it with my Life, but they must deserve it.

On board the Ganges, about 12 months ago, Lt. Gale was struck by an Officer of the Navy, the Capt. took no notice of the Business and Gale got no satisfaction on the Cruise; The moment he arrived he call'd the Lieut. out, and shot him; afterwards Politeness was restor'd.....

Yr obdt Svt,

W. W. Burrows

Lt. Col. Comdt, MC

No comments: